Ground-Mounted Solar Photovoltaic Array Installations
Multiple clients, Maine
2009 to present
SME Services: Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESA), civil engineering design, geotechnical engineering, environmental permitting, and technical assistance
Since 2009, SME has provided engineering and support services for ground-mounted solar photovoltaic installation projects throughout Maine. These arrays, with power generating capacities ranging from 132kW to 6MW, have been installed on private and public properties, such as municipal landfills, business parks, farmland, and previously undeveloped land.
To date, SME has provided professional consulting services for over 30 projects with a total generating capacity of more than 75MW. Our clients include private landowners, municipalities, and leading commercial solar energy developers.
Project Outcome and Value Added
SME provides preliminary site analysis, surveying, environmental review, civil engineering design, and environmental permitting for projects. For many typical projects, this encompasses a suite of site/civil services performed by SME in-house staff and in coordination with qualified subcontractors:
- Due diligence analysis to identify legal and physical design constraints of a site
- Phase 1 ESA to determine suitability of a site for the project
- Property line and topographic survey plans
- Site plan design for site plan review/special permit applications (e.g., Site Location of Development Act (SLODA))
- Environmental services to identify and evaluate factors such as wetlands delineations, flood zones, underlying rights, and archaeological significance
- State and local permitting
- Public hearings and stakeholder communications
- Easements plans
- ALTA/ACSM survey plans
- Construction layouts
- Construction documents, and
- Construction administration
The result is a seamless and streamlined site/civil development process that contributes to keeping projects on track.